Thursday, October 25, 2007

On Humility and Statue Carving


Humility is on the docket today. But first, a quote.

"When I carve a statue, it is very simple. I merely cut away the pieces that don't belong there and the statue itself presently comes into view. It was there all the time." -Gutzom Borglum

This is humility. The statue was not created, it was simply unearthed. I like that imagery, and I like that train of thought. It lets me off the hook, at least partially. Nothing I will do will be totally original, for the design has existed from long before my time.

This is not predestination, mind you. This is re-destination. The returning to where you began. In all things I will simply return to where I began: in the hands of a God who continues to hold me, even as I unearth those things in me, in others, in this world that were always there all along. And as long as I'm in those hands, the credit is not mine. It is ours: God's, mine, and the statue's.

I like things in threes.

See you in church, you humble created creators,
VT...

No comments: