Wednesday, November 28, 2007

What is Truth?




I dove into the Gospel of John today. Well, I'll be more honest, I was pushed into the Gospel of John today. During this time of waiting, of anticipation, of longing, I expected to read excerpts from Isaiah, Matthew, Mark, or Luke. That's what I expected. But I should have known that, while Advent is a time of waiting, anticipation, and longing, it is most assuredly a time of surprises.

And so, John was the Gospel read from today.

More specifically, John 18, the story of Jesus' trial before Pilate. This is a funny text to read in the dawn of Advent because its almost like fast-forwarding the movie during the opening credits to the climactic push leading to the story's hinge. But, on the flip side, this is Jesus' soliloquy about his king-dom being of another kingdom. And, so, I guess on this cold Advent day it is fitting, albeit funny, to read of Jesus' own struggle with kingship even as we wait again for God to formally reclaim this kingdom here.

This passage left me at a place of unease. I have read this John passage every year on Good Friday (so have you, you just may not realize it), and my reading for today ended at verse 37 with Jesus saying, "I have come to testify to the truth."

And that's where it ended. Silence.

In my mind I heard the echo of Pilate's wonderful response, a response that I would ask, "What is truth?" But there was no satisfying question to Jesus' statement in today's reading. Yet, the question was asked in my mind as I read through it. It was an immediate reaction.

So, here at Advent, I'll echo Pilate in response to the waiting period that we now are in. What is truth? Are we waiting and waiting for a king that will never come? Or are our wick trimming and candle keeping actions for a reason.

I think the truth is that wick trimming and candle burning are reason enough on their own, as we must have light in this world until the Light returns. And the light will return, in one way or another, that is promised.

And so, we wait and we struggle with what it means to be citizens of a kingdom that is not yet realized. We struggle with Jesus in John 18, even as we wait for the Advent now.

Let us cut our quick and light our sparks. The truth is, God is coming again in one way or another, and although we struggle with it, we do not struggle alone-Christ struggles with us.

See you in church,
VT...

No comments: